Yesterday I reviewed my holiday contact list and crossed off the names of three friends who made their transition this past year. Facing the end of life can bring great clarity and I pass along the work of Bronne Ware, an Australian hospice nurse who shares her patients’ stories in her book, The Top Five Regrets of the Dying.
1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I’d stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish I’d let myself be happier.
Give yourself permission to explore who you are. Expand and express. You’ll be amazed at the sense of freedom and how much you love yourself.
“Lighten up. Don’t be so hard on yourself.
Have fun on this journey.”
– my guide